The Team-Based Care healthcare professionals offer a variety of classes to our patients and the public. All classes are free and do not require a referral from your family physician, however, registration is required.
Getting Started: Your Best Weight (2 sessions)
• Part 1: Identify the medical, psychological social and lifestyle factors that contribute to weight. Learn essential tools and skills for making lifestyle changes.
• Part 2: Discuss the role of motivation, thoughts, and emotions in long term behaviour change. Learn how to problem solve and develop a personalized plan for change.
Nutrition: The Truth about What Works in Weight Management
• Evaluate what you are eating and learn strategies that can help lower your calories.
• Explore how meal patterns, food choices and portion size affect calorie intake.
Craving Change TM (3 sessions)
• Learn about all the different reasons why people eat, how to cope with emotional eating and how to feel more in control of your eating.
• Learn about what diabetes is, general healthy eating and activity guidelines for managing diabetes and how to manage diabetes through medication.
• Learn about how stress, foot care, smoking, and self-monitoring of blood sugars affect diabetes care.
Nutrition for Diabetes
• Learn about healthy and balanced eating for managing blood sugars in Type 2 Diabetes. Topics include: effect of foods on blood sugars, reading food labels, artificial sweeteners, balanced portions and timing of meals
• Learn about the role of insulin in diabetes management. The class will cover the different types of insulin and how they work. Injection technique will also be covered. This class is for people considering starting insulin, already using insulin or just needing a refresher.
Move into Health
• Free ongoing activity session lead by Exercise Specialist
• 45 minutes consisting of stretching, strength and core
• Small equipment is provided
• Weather depending some sessions may be a 30 minute walk